This webinar originally occurred on August 3, 2023
Duration: 2 hours
In the final installment of this webinar series, it is time to tackle the cannabinoid conundrums. Both public perception of cannabinoid use, and relevant legislation are rapidly changing. These are exciting times and the lines between medicines, recreational drug use, and substance abuse disorders are blurring. For those of us who work with cannabinoids, these times also bring about a number of conundrums, both technical and administrative. How do crime labs differentiate between hemp and marijuana? Can workplace drug testing labs differentiate between ingestion of legal or illicit products, and should they? How do we deal with impairment on the road and in our workplaces? What do cannabinoids do to our bodies, and are there any lasting side effects? What is the importance of THC isomers, and how do we distinguish them in the laboratory?
To tackle these questions and others, Dr. Ruth Winecker (RTI International) will lead a live panel discussion hosted in Zoom that includes Dr. Edward J. Cone (Johns Hopkins University), Dr. Nathalie Desrosiers (Royal Canadian Mounted Police), Mr. Justin L. Poklis (Virginia Commonwealth University) and Mr. Nelson Santos (RTI International). This diverse slate of cannabinoid thought leaders represent government, commercial and academic stakeholders. Their areas of expertise span analytical chemistry, forensic toxicology, clinical research, and drug chemistry.
Detailed Learning Objectives
- Attendees will recognize different THC isomers and describe their prevalence.
- Attendees will be able to discuss the reasons why THC isomers are popular in terms of psychoactive effects and drivers of the marketplace.
- Attendees will be able to identify analytical and interpretative challenges associated with THC isomers.
- Edward J. Cone, Ph.D., F-ABFT | ConeChem Research, LLC, & Johns Hopkins University
- Nathalie Desrosiers, Ph.D., F-ABFT | Royal Canadian Mounted Police
- Justin L. Poklis, D-ABTF-FT | Virginia Commonwealth University
- Nelson Santos | RTI International
- Ruth E. Winecker, Ph.D., F-ABFT | RTI International
- Agriculture Improvement Act of 2018
- Research Clues to Appreciating a New Era of Cannabinoid Conundrums Webinar Series
- Labeling with Love or Lethal Consequences for CBD Containing Products
- All Is Not Pot That's Green: An Overview of THC Isomers
- Development of Analytical Methods for Measuring Δ9-THC in Cannabis Products
- Vaping in the Weeds: The Merging of the E-cigarette and Cannabis Industries
- Cannabinoid Pharmacology: Three Decades of Controlled Human Cannabinoid Administration Studies
- Evaluation of Field Sobriety Tests for Identifying Drivers Under the Influence of Cannabis
Funding for this Forensic Technology Center of Excellence webinar has been provided by the National Institute of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, U.S. Department of Justice.
The opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this webinar are those of the presenter(s) and do not necessarily reflect those of the U.S. Department of Justice.