The National Institute of Justice (NIJ) and the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), in partnership with the Forensic Technology Center of Excellence (FTCoE), will hold a Forensic Science Research Federal Stakeholders meeting on November 8, 2021 from 9:00AM to 1:00PM ET. This half-day session will be open to the public, which will allow external forensic science research stakeholders to gain awareness of federal research activities and help identify areas that may need additional collaboration.
We anticipate that attendees of this half-day public session will include stakeholders from crime laboratories, medical examiner/coroner offices, academic research institutions, and other entities within the criminal justice system, such as law enforcement, officers of the court, and policymakers. We anticipate that this public session will also include a presentation on NIJ’s Forensic Laboratory Needs Technology Working Group (FLN-TWG) to facilitate discussions on the needs, challenges, and solutions towards implementing research products into operational practice.
The objectives of this meeting include:
- Facilitating a greater understanding and awareness of the various federal efforts, current initiatives, and strategic plans related to forensic science research.
- Identifying current partnerships and potential opportunities for federal agencies to partner and leverage each other’s strengths.
- Gaining insight into NIJ’s Forensic Laboratory Needs Technical Working Group past and future activities.
- Coordinating the vast array of federal forensic science research and development by establishing a regular exchange of information.
- Ascertaining opportunities for coordination with state and local forensic science service providers, academic researchers, and other criminal justice system stakeholders.
- Recognizing opportunities for technology transition from research into practice.
- Informing future updates for the public-facing reports on the landscape of federally funded forensic science research. See the FTCoE report on Federal Forensic Science Research and Development Programs – A 2021 Update.
What: Forensic Science Research Federal Stakeholders Public Meeting
When: Monday, November 8th, 2021 | 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM ET
Who: Open to all external forensic science research stakeholders
Check back soon for the meeting agenda!