The Association of Forensic DNA Analysts and Administrators (AFDAA), RTI International, and NIJ’s Forensic Technology Center of Excellence (FTCoE) partnered to host the AFDAA summer meeting virtually on July 28th and 29th, 2021. This virtual conference allowed the continued dissemination of research and exchange of ideas among forensic DNA scientists despite an ongoing pandemic.
AFDAA is a nonprofit 501c3 organization composed of professionals engaged in the forensic aspects of DNA analysis for the judicial system. Members include forensic DNA analysts, supervisors, and administrators with hundreds of forensic DNA professionals in over 75 agencies and companies across 25 states and international laboratories.
AFDAA typically holds meetings twice per year, in the winter or spring and the summer. As the field of forensic DNA and the organization have grown over the years, the winter/spring meeting has evolved into focused workshops on topics of current interest, usually held at the Texas DPS Headquarters Complex in Austin, Texas.
AFDAA provides a forum for the exchange of ideas and information among forensic DNA scientists to:
- Keep current on the methods, techniques, and procedures presently used in the field of forensic science.
- Promote the dissemination of information on research and developments of new techniques within the field.
- Stay abreast of the latest legislative issues concerning DNA analysis.
- Network with other DNA crime laboratories and personnel.
- Obtain formal training and attend guest lectures.
- Share and troubleshoot forensic DNA data and/or issues.
- Forensic Grant Funding Opportunities from the Bureau of Justice Assistance
- Forensic Technology Center of Excellence Update
- National Institute of Justice Update
- The Phantom Menace: Mitogenome Analysis and Interpretation
- Development of Entire Mitogenome Reference Data Using an Automated High Throughput Sequencing Workflow
- Interesting Cases/Sexual Assault Kit Initiative (SAKI) Update
- Texas CODIS Update
- Texas Track-Kit Update
- Cold Case Story
- Extracting Better Outcomes from Forensic Samples - Making Your Life Easier with Next-Generation Sequencing
- HFSC Evaluation and Comparison of Rapid DNA Analysis and Direct Amplification
- Optimization of InnoXtract™ for DNA Extraction from Skeletal
- Evaluation of the ForenSeq MainstAY Kit with Challenging Samples
- Validation of the Applied Biosystems ™ PrepFiler™ BTA and PrepFiler™ Automated Forensic DNA Extraction Kits on the ID NIMBUS® Presto System
For questions concerning content, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions concerning the AFDAA summer meeting, please contact forensicCOE@rti.org
All opinions, findings, conclusions, and recommendations expressed in these presentations are those of the presenter and do not necessarily reflect those of the Department of Justice. Presentations from vendors and manufacturers concerning specific products are sponsored and funded solely through the Southwestern Association of Forensic Scientists and do not constitute product endorsement by the Department of Justice.