A Message from the Forensic Technology Center of Excellence
Another year in the books, and so much has happened! In 2023, the Forensic Technology Center of Excellence (FTCOE) hosted various virtual events and delivered numerous online resources - including 6 podcast seasons, 4 virtual workshops, 2 symposiums, 27 reports, and 35 webinars - all rooted in evidence-based practice and geared towards practitioners leading the way in the world of forensic science. We remain focused on our mission of bridging the gap between the scientific and justice communities through advancing technology, sharing knowledge, and addressing challenges. Check out some of the highlights from this past year below!
As we launch into 2024, we are thankful for all of YOU. We cannot accomplish all that we do without your input, expertise, support, and participation. Your feedback is always appreciated and helps guide our plans for the upcoming year. Don't hesitate to contact us at ForensicCOE@rti.org with any questions and subscribe to our newsletter for notifications. Thank you for continuing to support the FTCOE!
We’re looking forward to what 2024 has in store!
Click the links below to see previous years' annual reviews and infographics.
- Society of Forensic Anthropologists (SOFA)
- 2023 ASCLD Train the Director
- 2023 ASCLD Emerging Issues
- 2023 Sexual Assault Awareness Month: Novel Research on Sexual Assault
- Research Clues to Appreciating a New Era of Cannabinoid Conundrums
- National Center on Forensics Community-Focused
- 2023 NIJ Forensic Science R&D
Top 4 Webinars
Click the left and right arrows to scroll through the most popular webinars of 2023.
Top 6 Podcast Episodes
Click the left and right arrows to scroll through the most popular episode from each season in 2023.
- Qualifications of an Expert Witness for Legal Professionals Part I: The Daubert Standard
- Qualifications of an Expert Witness for Legal Professionals Part II: The Frye Standard
- Direct Analysis in Real Time Mass Spectrometry (DART-MS) for Seized Drug Analysis
- Implementation Workshop: TOF/QTOF Mass Spectrometry for Identification, Screening, and Confirmation in Forensic Toxicology and Chemistry
Humanitarian and Human Rights Resource Center
Forensic Science Week
Top 10 Reports
Click the left and right arrows to scroll through the most popular reports of 2023.
Click the left and right arrows to scroll through the landscape reports of 2023. Updates coming soon!
- Topic of Interest: Forensic Testimony, Smith v. Arizona
- Gas Chromatography Vapor-Phase Infrared Spectroscopy (GC-VIR)
- Direct Analysis in Real Time Mass Spectrometry (DART-MS)
- Ultra-High Performance Liquid Chromatography Photo Diode Array Ultraviolet Single Quadrupole Mass Spectrometry (UHPLC-PDA UV-MS)
- Microcrystal Tests
- Analysis of Marijuana and Marijuana Products
- Gas Chromatography-Vacuum Ultraviolet Spectroscopy (GC-VUV)
- 2023 National Institute of Justice Forensic Science Research and Development Symposium: American Academy of Forensic Sciences 75th Annual Scientific Conference
- North Carolina State University and the Forensic Technology Center of Excellence two-part virtual workshop series: Qualifications of an expert witness or legal professionals—The Daubert and Frye standards
- NIJ and The New York City OCME Validating Confirmatory Body Fluid Identification Assays for Real-World Impact
- Electronic Death Registry in Medicolegal Death Investigation
- Electronic Medical Records in Medicolegal Death Investigation
- Information Sharing Between Medicolegal Death Investigation Offices and Organ and Tissue Recovery Organizations
- Information Sharing Between Medicolegal Death Investigators and Toxicology Testing Services
- Evolving Approaches and Technologies for Seized Drug Analysis